Sourdough Discard Crinkle Cookies

Crinkle cookies were my absolute favorite growing up. I’ve always been an absolute chocolate fiend, so I could never get enough of these rich and fudgy treats.

When I set out to recreate a sourdough version of these cookies, I knew I wanted them to have a really soft, and chewy middle. Adding discard to any cookie recipe introduces additional moisture to the dough which can cause cookies to spread which means, thin, crispy cookies. To remove some of the excess water, I used 4 yolks and only 2 whites. Additionally, I refrigerated these cookies for two hours before baking, this helps solidify the fat in the recipe and provides structure while baking.

I hope you enjoy making and eating these cookies as much as I loved adding a sourdough twist to one of my childhood favorites!

Now on to the recipe!

QuantityIngredients
254 gramsAll-purpose flour
86 grams Cocoa powder
¾ teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoonsBaking powder
350 gramsGranulated sugar
175 grams Grapeseed oil (or any light flavored oil)
85 gramsDiscard starter
Eggs
Egg yolks
2 teaspoonsVanilla
50 grams Powdered sugar

Mix Dough

In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk together flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking powder until no lumps remain. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine granulated sugar, oil, discard starter, vanilla eggs and yolks.

Gradually fold flour mixture into wet ingredients until fully combined.

Chill

Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours or until completely chilled. Don’t skip this step!

Bake

Once you’re ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 F/176 C and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Take out chilled cookie dough from fridge. Scoop out dough into 1 ½ tablespoon-sized balls, roll with your hands and coat thoroughly in powdered sugar.

Place dough balls on prepared cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

Once finished baking, allow cookies to rest on hot baking sheets for 5 minutes, your cookies will still be extremely soft in the middle, the residual heat will allow them to firm up without over-baking and becoming too crispy.

Move to a wire rack, enjoy warm or store in an airtight container once completely cooled.

Et voila!

Please share this recipe if you enjoyed it! Remember to post a photo and tag me @makeitdough when you make this delicious recipe, so I can check out your bake.

Follow me on Instagram @MakeItDough or like Make It Dough on Facebook for more sourdough and baking ideas.

19 Comments Add yours

1. Michelle Tan says:

Can I cut down sugar to 100g

1. You can certainly try, but I have never done that myself so I can’t guarantee the results.

2. Josine says:

I baked them yesterday as a treat at work, and now some co-workers want the recipe, but they don’t have sourdough discard. What must I change to make them without the discard?

1. So glad you loved it! I’d try using whole eggs. However, I can’t guarantee the results as I’ve never attempted this before.

3. Tiffany Hu says:

Hi! Does the type of cocoa powder matter here? Dutch processed ok?

1. Yes! Dutch processed works great for this recipe!

4. Evangeline says:

Hi! Can I replace oil for butter? Thanks!

1. Butter has some water content, you’d probably have to brown the butter to remove some of the water from it before using. I’ve never tried this myself so I can’t speak about the results!

5. Delynda says:

Do I had to use discard? Or can I use my starter on my counter?

1. Both are fine

6. Delynda says:

I forgot to ask you if I could, refrigerate overnight and bake off in the morning?

1. Refrigerating overnight works great!

7. Jennifer says:

If I can’t eat cocoa powder, are there any other non-chocolate alternatives?

1. I’m afraid these work best with cocoa powder. Try one of the other cookie recipes on my blog, the oatmeal or soft baked cookies are quite good and you can substitute nuts or dried fruits in place of the chocolate chips.

2. Suzanne says:

You could try carob powder. A lot of people who can’t have cocoa powder use carob powder as a substitute.

1. Thank you for the suggestion! I never even considered carob. But it’s true that it would would for flavor and it is shown to be healthier than chocolate

8. Kathy Poidomani says:

I love, love, love these cookies! I baked these cookies for a friend & her husband said they were the best cookies he’d ever tasted. So here’s what I did: I used whole wheat starter, added cinnamon & used a little less chocolate, and added Mexican vanilla. I was raised in South Texas & love Mexican chocolate so the cookies had that flavor. Tomorrow I’m making them & will add a dash of chili powder or cayenne! Double yum!! Thanks for a GREAT recipe!

1. Hi Kathy! Thank you so much for letting me know that the recipe worked for you. I’m ecstatic that you and your friends loved it. So great to hear that whole wheat starter worked for this recipe!