Sourdough Discard Pasta

This is my ultimate favorite way to use up my sourdough discard.

Just like baking bread, I was always intimidated by making fresh pasta. It seemed really difficult until I finally tried it myself and now I never want to eat the boxed stuff!

When I started keeping my sourdough starter, like many others, I made too much and ended up with tons of discard. In my search for new and creative ways (aside from pancakes and waffles) to use up my supply, I found @sourdough_nouveau‘s recipe and method for making sourdough pasta. I largely follow her method and recipe here, but deviate by adding one more egg yolk because I found that I prefer a richer eggier flavor to my pastas. I love that Lisa uses a long fermentation method, by resting her pasta for at least 4 hours, instead of the usual 30 minutes most conventional recipes call for. This takes advantage of all the same health benefits of sourdough for digestibility of all the nutrients in wheat.

When I started making fresh pasta, I rolled my dough and shaped my pasta by hand, but this took forever and I couldn’t get the sheets thin enough. I found using a pasta machine was the best and easiest way to achieve the thin silky threads that I wanted.

I use a combination of fine-milled 00 flour, and semola for this recipe. Although, I’ve seen many recipes online use all-purpose, I never tried this myself, but I’ve heard it works well. I tried making this recipe with Einkorn flour once, but my pasta didn’t develop enough strength and ended up breaking up during cooking. I’ve seen others use fresh-milled flour, and I’d like to try this as well. At the end of the day, pasta simply means paste in Italian, and any type of flour that can make a “paste” and become extensible can be used, so feel free to experiment, although you may need to adjust your ingredients if you choose to use another type of grain or flour.

Now onto the recipe!

Ingredients

QuantityIngredientBakers %
90 gramsSourdough discard56%
100 grams00 Flour 62%
60 gramsSemola37%
1 Egg
1 Egg yolk
5 gramsOlive oil 3%
4 gramsSalt 2.5%

Instructions

Combine ingredients on a bowl or large plate.

Mix by hand and work mixture until all dry bits of flour have been hydrated. This may take a while, but don’t worry it will all be integrated eventually.

Knead the dough until smooth.

dough just combined
dough after kneading

Wrap in plastic or place in an airtight container and allow to rest at room temperature (75 F / 23 C) for 2 hours

After 2 hours, place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 48 hours to ferment.

Cut and roll your pasta as desired and cook in heavily-salted boiling water for 90 seconds.

Please share this recipe if you enjoyed it! Follow me on Instagram @MakeItDough or like Make It Dough on Facebook for more sourdough and baking ideas. Remember to post a photo and tag me or use #makeitdough when you make this delicious recipe, so I can check out your bake!

24 Comments Add yours

1. elainebaird says:

love the sourdough pasta recipe

1. Thank you!!

2. Linda says:

Thanks for telling us about your Einkorn experiment – because that’s what I was going to use! I’m Celiac, and by using Einkorn flour, I can eat my sourdough bread…I thought this might be a nice change!

1. I’m dying to try making pasta with Einkorn again now that I’m a little bit more confident in my pasta-making abilities. I’m sure it could work!

3. Deb says:

Made your sourdough pasta and it was wonderful! The dough, sat in the fridge for 48 hrs., was so easy to work with. I didn’t need the pasta machine at all. Thank you!
    Recipe made enough for 2 adults with enough leftover for lunch for 1.

1. So glad it turned out well for you!

4. Katherine says:

This recipe looks lovely and easy! Do you ever dry your pasta to use later? If so, how well does it work out for you? Any tips? Thanks!

1. I have and it turns out great! Although I haven’t stored mine for an extended period of time.

2. Marti says:

I dry mine all the time but I store it in the freezer. Works just fine – take out what you need and put it straight into boiling water.

1. I’m so glad that works! I get asked this all the time, but I usually cook all my pasta at once and never have enough to store in the freezer to try!

5. brianackerly says:

I made this once before and made it by hand and knife cut the pasta. Tonight I’m using an automatic pasta machine to mix and extrude the dough. I can easily leave it on the counter for two hours, but not looking forward to scraping out the machine to refrigerate the dough. Can I just leave it on the counter for four hours, or should I compromise with three, then extrude the pasta?

1. I’m sorry for the late response! I’ve made this recipe before without the additional fermentation in the refrigerator and it turns out just fine. Were you able to make your pasta? If so, how did it turn out?

6. Shalva Levine says:

I made this pasta. Excellent. Thank you.

7. Roses1 says:

What is sourdough discard? Not sure what people mean by that.
    I have a huge jar of sourdough starter that I just removed 2 cups of, to mix with water, flour, & salt to make bread. Some say feed the starter just before you mix your bread dough, some people say just use your starter without feeding, then feed the starter after you take what you need for baking your sour dough bread. Which is it?

1. There are as many ways to maintain a sourdough starter as there are bakers. In my case, I bake almost everyday and never keep my starter in the fridge so I feed my starter everyday. When I’m not baking, I still feed my starter but discard all but a tiny proportion of it. The discard or whatever starter I won’t be feeding is kept in a jar in the fridge, and used for recipes like cookies and pastas where it does not need to be strong enough to leaven bread.

I find I get the best results in my bread when I feed (activate) my starter 4 hours before I mix my final dough.

8. Marti says:

I’ve made this recipe several times. Always turns out great! Easy to make and tastes awesome. Love that I can use my excess sourdough and not have to waste it. Never buy pasta at a store anymore.❤️

1. I’m so happy this recipe works for you! It’s my absolute favorite.

9. Bianca says:

We made this tonight as our first attempt at making pasta. I threw all the ingredients in the bread maker & set on pasta dough. Then followed the recommended rest times. The pasta was really easy to form into angel spaghetti & tasted amazing! Thankyou

1. Wow! I didn’t know you could use a bread maker to make pasta! So happy to hear you and your family enjoyed it.

10. Maria says:

I made some pasta dough the other day and put it in the fridge. With three little kids life gets hectic and I haven’t been able to roll it out until now (6 days later :/). You’re recipe says keeping it for up to two days in the fridge. Do you think I could still use it? The dough looks and smells fine by the way. Thanks!

11. This is such a great recipe! So far I’ve not found semola anywhere so I’ve been using rice flour and that’s worked really well too.

1. Wow!! I’ve never tried rice flour! That’s exciting to hear that it works. I’ve been meaning to create a pasta recipe using different types of flours but I haven’t gotten to it yet. This is encouraging!

12. Heather says:

Can I use all-purpose flour? What exactly is semola?

1. Yes. All purpose flour works great. Semola is finely ground durum, which is a very hard wheat.